Monday, April 26, 2010

Monday, 4/26

I’m thinking about changing the helmet.

Interestingly, the helmet was a large part of the original inspiration for this piece. I've been taking my kids to the Philadelphia Museum of Art - my 5 yr old son and I are big fans of the armor collection - and it wasn’t long before I wanted to find a way to incorporate some of those forms (and this helmet in particular) into my own work.

Unfortunately, I’m finding that the form isn’t nearly as compelling without it’s metallic surface. This could also be a function of being the nature of relief – the flattened teardrop shape of the horizontal cross-section get’s lost in profile. Now I’m thinking that I may need to use a more complex form to substitute for the dynamic, reflective surface of the metal.I remembered seeing this image in one of my son’s books of Knights. We’ll see if it’s an improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment