Saturday, May 22, 2010

Tools of the trade



Not much to it, and pretty low tech. I probably use the two horizontal tools at the top and the long loop on the left 90% of the time. Like my entire collection of tee-shirts, I don't think I bought more than a couple of these - most of them just arrived. They work fine, but I lose or destroy things too easily to get particularly attached to any of them. That loop at the top was the understudy for my good loop, but then the good loop snapped, and now I can't imagine life without the one pictured here.

I know people who are fanatics about their tools, who make tools, and keep them oiled in canvas pouches. I feel the same way about them that I feel about artists who keep beautiful sketchbooks- I love it, and I wish it were my style, but that's not how I work. I'm tough on tools, use any stick that comes to hand, rarely keep my sketches, and make no preparatory drawings. I wish the process were prettier, more picturesque, or more dramatic, but really only when I get a look at somebody else's beautiful studio or elegant process. Like this here.

Evan Hecox from Incase on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment